Look out Cancer, here I come!!!!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

This is windall, sorry for the delay but the last two days have be n kind of crazy. On monday we left for STL at around nine thirty, when we were about thirty minutes away from Barnes we got a phone call from the hospital wanting to know where we were, DeeDee told them and then they asked if we knew we were suppose to be there at nine!! Obviously we did not and we had even called to enquire that as well as any other special instructions and were given none. As it turned out there was no problem they still took her in just a little late, surgery started at one thirty.

Present on the day of surgery were Randy and Laura Sparkman (great friends), Pat Samford (my sister), Macy Wilson (our daughter), Becca Bliss and Sarah Scheniman (friends of Macy's). Good times had by all for the first couple of hours, after that, not so much. Pat and Laura played with thier beads.

She finally came out of surgery at six thirty, considerably later than we had expected. Dr. Z came out to talk to me at about seven and said that the surgery had gone very well. He took the spleen as expected but also found a tumor the size of a baseball on the colon! That was not on the scan. Then he also found some small areas near the liver and in the pelvis and took the appendix for good measure (no cancer there). Needless to say she is going to be a little uncomfortable. Randy and Laura stayed until they got her to the room then headed home. She was awake when they left and asked how long the surgery went. After hearing the answer she replied HOLY CRAP and then she was out. I left after the nurses had her settled in.

TUESDAY

I got a good nights sleep at my sisters house, who by the way made me an incredible breakfast. I got to Barnes at about nine thirty only to find out she had gotten a roommate, not good. She was still out of it but not for long because they wanted her to sit up and eventually walk, she was not a happy camper. Liliana, Susan and Regina came by today in time to be a part of that joyous occasion, glad it wasn't just me. I have to say, though, she showed them and walked all the way around the hallway. Go DeeDee!!! After that I went to eat with Susan, Regina, Abbey and Jeff. Just as we were getting ready to leave the Drunken Fish DeeDee called and asked where I was followed by get back here now! Seems there was a bit of drama during the shift change and it had her upset, I only left because she told me to. She is now down for the night and I am getting ready to head to my sisters, will talk again tomorrw. Good night.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates, Windall. Glad to hear Dee Dee getting after you, love her spunk! Relieved to hear they got everything, sorry to hear that she'll be sore and uncomfortable - pray that doesn't last long. Hang in there, praying for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windall,
    Thanks for the updates. It makes us all feel closer. I pray that healing continues today and that the roommate situation improves. Difficult roommates can be harder than surgery sometimes!
    Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update. You and DeeDee are in our prayers. Love, Missy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lifting you up in prayers. I hope you are feeling better today and that your room mate has checked out. The girls and I will see you tomorrow.
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Windall, thanks for the update. My prayers are with all of you...Lin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Windall. Any idea how long she will be in hospital? I spoke with Dee Dee past weekend and I was going to bring meal on Saturday to your house. Just checking. I am going to be at Bev Poston Givens house on Sunday, so if she is still in maybe we can go see her. Love all...Barb Cagle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Windall, thanks for the update. I have been praying for both of you. Please call if my nursing expertise can be helpful. Nancy Huckstep

    ReplyDelete